The Cost of Catastrophe
Natural disasters seem to be occurring at an alarming rate. Hurricanes, tornadoes, fires and droughts are just a few of the disasters that impact our world. These events cause catastrophic damage and untold loss every year. In the past decade, disasters have cost more than $3.4 trillion. Emergency-management-degree.org has analyzed the financial impact of these disasters, along with how many businesses and families are prepared for an emergency.
The financial totals for disasters in 2012 are incredible.
- Hurricanes/tropical cyclones - $84,890,000,000 - $32,400,000,000
- Tornadoes - $30,230,000,000 - $15,530,000,000
- Flooding - $33,340,000,000 - $3,350,000,000
- Earthquake - $19,130,000,000 - $1,550,000,000
- Winter weather - $2,820,000,000 - $590,000,000
- Wildfire - $1,220,000,000 - $580,000,000
- Drought - $38,320,000,000 - $18,190,000,000